Wednesday, August 2, 2006

School Scheduling is Fun

Today was my first day of required school attendance. We had a good long district wide meeting with refreshments provided. Then we split up to go to our schools for focused faculty meetings. I can recall this time last year sitting in the meeting. It was a surreal experience. There were three of us new TFA teachers, and the only white folks at the school. However, I quickly came to learn that I am not white, but Italian, which seems to have worked to my advantage.

This time around there are three more new TFA teachers and while the introduction to the Delta can be a severe culture shock we now at least have a presence at the school to help make the transition easier. I love my school and my co-workers and am more or less comfortable speaking out and making suggestions.

I had talked with my principal about scheduling about a week ago. We discussed setting up the school wide schedule and I pitched that we should block together Science and Social studies into a single 100-minute period to mirror Math and English. The idea was to cut down grade level teachers from 4 to 3, create easier planning teams, and provide a larger block of instructional time. Other school wide scheduling priorities were: include a recess, ensure all periods are the same length, and do not have lunches in the in the middle of a block. I took the time to create a prototype schedule matching the listed priorities and submitted it to Mrs. M... for perusal. Today we received the outline of our new schedule.

Science and social studies have been blocked together. Excellent. However, and I find this to be truly amazing, the periods of the day are varying lengths. My three math classes for the day have three totally different times: 105min, 120min, and 110min. My planning period is 55min compared with 45min for other teachers. Recess has been scrapped. We have 30 minutes for lunch and are allowed to take the students outside if we can squeeze it into this time allotment. And as for blocks not being broken, lunch sits squarely in the middle of a block for everybody but the fourth grade.

Oh wait, the icing on the cake. Students trickle in from 7AM to 7:45AM. Last year they ate breakfast and then sat in the auditorium until the start of the day. This caused a commotion because the students became restless and did not have a productive outlet for their enthusiasm. This year students are to go directly to their classrooms after breakfast. And here's the kicker...students will be arriving from 7AM on. Teachers do not need to be at school until 7:40. As soon as we arrive at school, no matter the time we are to take our students to the classroom. This means ZERO planning time in the morning to get ready for the day. This is a huge disincentive for teachers to get to school early. Why would I go to school at 7AM and have to manage students when I could stay at home and work until 7:40? What happens with the students if the teacher does not show up early? They sit in the auditorium. I don't know about you but it sounds as if we just told the teachers to come in at the last possible moment and that we will keep the children in the auditorium under minimal supervision just like last year. My guess --- this system is doomed to failure, but what do I know. Part of this job is being flexible so I am just going to roll with the punches and see who or what hits the mat first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home