Sunday, August 13, 2006

Spiders and Mosquitoes

I know that there are a lot of bugs out here on the farm. I mean really, it’s a farm and its in Mississippi. I was walking around in the carport and noticed the phenomenal number of spider webs attached to every joint of the structure. Corners, ceiling meeting wall, and around the door were all covered with webs. Not just webs, but webs that had caught an uncountable number of mosquitoes. I decided to do some housecleaning and took the broom and tore down all the of the spider webs.

The next day I noticed that the swarming mosquito count in the carport had gone through the roof. Then I recalled how a few weeks back there were a ton of mosquitoes and few spider webs. When the spiders put the webs back, I am just going to let them hang out until mosquito season ends, at which point I suppose spider season will be ending as well.

What an interesting way to look at the seasons. We teach the kids that cold equals winter and hot means summer. Since I have been cooking for myself I have been thinking about seasons more in terms of when fruits and vegetables are available. Now I am thinking about the seasons in terms of what type and the count of bugs are out here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home