Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Shelby Women's United

I attended a meeting of the Shelby Woman’s United last night. I was one of a handful guests in attendance with a proposal to deliver. I was talking about Shelby Fest and making a request that the SWU help to pre-sell dinners for the festival. The ladies have already been helpful in securing funds and dealing with logistics. They are very excited about the event and it conveniently coincides with removing the burden from them of planning a fall event, not that they wouldn’t have done it. They are awesome and wonderfully motivated to help out.

Guest #2 was a woman from NY pushing a book of non-religious moral codes to try and stimulate the community into treating everyone better. Some sort of pay it forward style idea that supposedly was administered in Watts, California, a ghetto of L.A., and resulted in a decreased crime rate.

The last guest was Reverend Pitts. A healthy sized individual with a mesmerizing deep drawl. He led the prayer at the beginning of the meeting and I was instantly entranced by the rhythm of his words. I imagine he easily commands the attention of his congregation unlike some of the other Reverends I have encountered that make me want to drill a hole in my head. Reverend Pitts is helping us try to secure a tent for the band to play under.

As I sat there in the meeting room of the Shelby Library surrounded by these ladies, the police chief, Reverend Pitts, and the Mayor, I could not begin to fathom how I got into this situation. About a year and a half ago I was sitting at my desk in NYC computing and analyzing changes in capital and now I am sitting here in Shelby (where the heck is Shelby?) at a meeting of the Shelby Woman’s United trying to put together a town festival. C’mon now! Somebody please come over here and smack me. I think I am locked in some sort of labyrinthine dream world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home