Sunday, August 13, 2006

I bought a laser pointer.

Friday was my 25th birthday. I am a quarter century old. I spend my days with people less than half my age convincing them the benefits of sharing their feelings, working hard, and the relevance of math.

I have learned to deliver about 10 statements of praise in less than a 10 second period. I purchased a laser pointer to increase my mobility around the room. Now I can stand anywhere and point to the relevant propaganda on the walls that the student should be referencing.

What does it mean to 'Expect the Best'? --- little red dot gets shot at the wall, students eyes follow dot, light bulb goes off, answer gets delivered --- We need to always work our hardest and act right.

Bingo! That is correct.

Mr. C: Why? (laser point goes towards the success cycle)

Student: Because when we work our hardest we do a good job, we feel good, and want to work more.

Mr. C: Excellent answer!

My room is now littered with these statements. My vocabulary is on repeat. Students are starting to use the words I use. We are creating a state of inclusion through the repetitive use of positioning our rules in a positive manner, actively listening, inviting statements of appreciation and reflecting on the importance of what we have been doing. While extrinsic reward systems can be helpful, I hate them. I hate the burden they create and I hate remembering them. The goal is that students will come to understand that the extrinsic reward is a secondary benefit subordinate to that of the feeling we recieve from a job well done. That's the dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home