Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Late Night With the Old Guys

I came home late on Friday night. Not late from an evening out, but late as in my salsa class started late and thus ended late. We did not get started until 11pm when we normally begin at around 10pm. Edguardo, the teacher, did appear to be in the best of spirits. He spent some time ranting about the people and to put it lightly, he said that many were not of the highest quality. I think he had a rough day. Apparently a few times a month people will come in for a haircut and will leave with out paying. This happened twice on this particular day. Also the floor around the barber’s chair was strewn with cigarette butts. He said that he does not let people smoke while getting their haircut unless they are crack heads, in which case he makes an exception. Apparently it helps to maintain their composure. So after a day of people flaking on their payment and cutting the hair of crack heads we begin our lesson rather late in the evening.

I didn’t get back to the Alonso’s till about 12:30. Mer was in bed, but awake and there was quite a raucous coming from out back. Apparently Rene had a bunch of his buddies over from the pool. Both Mer and Rene go to the pool regularly for exercise. Mer told me there were empanadas in the kitchen. I scarfed down a few, showered and went to bed. I was trying to avoid having to hang out with Rene and his friends. Why? I don’t know sometimes it is just easier to sleep then to be social. I did a pretty poor job of going to sleep. I laid there reading, so the light was on and Rene knocked on the window. I told him I was sleeping. He said EL LUZ, then came around and walked in. He wanted to introduce me to his buddies. I acquiesced.

We went out back and I met the six guys he was hanging out with. They had devoured an enormous tray of appetizers, a few bottles of wine, a half handle of whiskey, and two bottles of fernet. The conversation was lively. It was around 1:30 when I joined them and I sat their listening and doing my best to participate in the discussion until 5AM. Topics ranged from the state of the Argentina, politics are always a priority, and American imperialism, females wiles, what’s up with gays, how to hang glide and of course back to politics. I had a grasp on most of the conversation. The point is that this insight into the people is not always accessible. Why, I refuse to participate sometimes is beyond me, but I am glad I was involved. The people are warm and welcoming and fun to be around. It makes the experience more enriching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home