Sunday, December 10, 2006

Oh, so that’s the problem.

A parent came to observe my class this week. She is a particular parent, a parent that loves to voice her two cents and complain about everything. She refuses to talk to the principal because of pre-existing beef, if anything goes wrong she goes directly to the superintendent.

I do not let my students leave the classroom during direct instruction to go the bathroom. They will miss what I am teaching then be lost. If I did allow them to leave at this point I would have to re-teach the same material I just taught. They may use the restroom during independent practice.

Ms. G, the parent, told me that was unfair and that I must let the students use it. I told her that the students are aware of the policy and they need to have some self-control. She told me that that was absurd and people can’t control when they have to go. Personally I think that is absurd. We were talking during my planning period, or maybe a better way to describe the scene was that she was berating me during my planning period. I have seen and heard some wild stuff down here so I am not particularly offended by anything anyone says.

She asked me what my nationality is. I said I was Italian and before Irish left my lips, she looked me up and down and stated, “That must be the problem. I dated and Italian once and that must be the problem. You don’t understand our culture and you have a problem with black people.” I looked back at her and responded, “That must be the problem.” I figure there is no way she would understand that the problem is that she is a total psycho. She continued on her course explaining to me that the culture of fear in my classroom is not conducive to learning and that if I missed one, just one child, then I have failed at my mission. Uh-huh…culture of fear, yes lady that is exactly what is happening in the classroom.

I let her know she was more than welcome to come and observe the class anytime she pleased and if she would like to participate she may as long as she gives me advance notice of her intent. Thank you Ms. G, as always, it has been a pleasure speaking to you and now I must be returning to work.

2 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Mind you, this is the same mother who once informed me that I do not have a handle on curriculum and am not teaching the right things. When I informed her that my benchmarks are given to me by the school, thus leaving me little choice in the matter, she continued insisting I have no handle on curriculum. Ah Ms. G., I can't wait for our next encounter.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Alex said...

"I figure there is no way she would understand that the problem is that she is a total psycho."

Hahaha. So true. I wish some of these parents could come to these realizations and just let us be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home